Contact the Attendance Office: (323) 993-3408
The Attendance Office is open from 7:30 am to 4:00 pm. We are here to help you with absences, contact information update, enrollment, check-outs, and more.
Daily attendance at school is extremely important. By state law, a student who has more than 3 unexcused absences is determined to be in violation of the truancy laws.
List of excused absences
The only excused absences that will not trigger a truancy letter:
- Due to his or her illness
- Due to quarantine under the direction of a county or cit health officer
- For the purpose of having medical, dental, optometric or chiropractic services rendered
- For the purpose of attending the funeral services of a member of his or her immediate family
- For the purpose of jury duty in the manner provided by law
- Due to the illness or medical appointment during school hours of a child whom the pupil is the custodial parent
- With Prior Principal Approval, for justifiable personal reasons including, but not limited to, appearance at court, attendance at a funeral service past the allowable day (s), observance of a holiday or ceremony of his / her religion, attendance at religious retreats or attendance at an employment conference when the pupil's absence has been requested in writing, prior to the absence, by the parent / guardian and approved by the principal.
- With Prior Principal Approval, for the purpose of serving as a member of a precinct board for an election pursuant to Section 12302 of the Election Code.
- Pupils who are members of religions that observe religious holidays that fall on school days may be excusable from school by making prior arrangements, as specified by the main school and with written parental / guardian request.
Examples of unexcused absences
Three or more of the following excuses will trigger Truancy letter:
- Running errands for family
- Vacations or trips
- Unverified illness
- Family emergency
- Transportation problems
- Inclement weather
- Absent from class without school or parent / guardian permission
- Absence uncleared for more than 10 school days due diligence to obtain an explanation from the parent / guardian
- Unexcused tardy for 30 minutes or more
- No note from parent / guardian
Parents/guardians are required to report in writing to the Attendance Office, a change of address or other contact information within 30 calendar days of the change with proof of this change. Failure to do so may be cause for forfeiture of the right to a continuing enrollment permit. Students will be transferred to the school of residence if false or inaccurate residence information is discovered.
To report a student absence, please send a message to the school by clicking on the envelope icon below with the following information:
- Student's full name
- Birth date
- Date of Absence
- Reason for absence
- Parent(s)' name and contact information
Leaving School Early:
Once students arrive, they may not leave campus for any reason without permission. Only a parent/guardian or adult who is on the emergency card is permitted to pick up a student and must present a picture ID every time.
To Enroll a Student in Bancroft Middle School:
You will need the following items completed prior to registration:
- Last report card
- Parent / guardian picture ID
- Birth certificate
- Immunization records (must be up to date)
- Address verification (Utility bill, Gas, Water, or Light only) in Parent's name (telephone bills are not accepted).